Saturday, August 15, 2009

Time for Some Bloodwork...

My health has been slowly winding down over the course of these two weeks I have spent in Bamako. It started out with our old friend Mr. D who joined me here for the first week. Then the physical side rallied only to see my mental state drop the ball...into a few days of depression. Last night something else hit (along with the resurging Mr. D). It might be a severe lack of our 26th element, as the steaks in this country are left wanting, leaving me anemic. Who knows in this part of the world. I have almost quit guessing about what is making me sick because it could be so many different things...and I am sick so often...that I just let my body figure it out on its own and define my health by the activities I am able to do.

Last night was volleyball at the American Club. Always a good time...but my "ability to do" was in question. I had to peel myself off the couch to make an appearance, but it was worth it. We played 2on2 and even though I was too tired to walk a straight line, thinking I might keel over onto the wet sand, we still won. Since last night my breathing has been incredibly shallow, speech slightly slurred, and I walk like an old man with a stoop. People say I am drunk and/or smoking something. My mouth tends to hang open and my eyes are droopy. In fact, my whole face feels like it is about to slide off like melting wax. On the upside, none of this bothers me in the least because I am in such a good mood! It is more of a joke than a concern...but I suppose it would be prudent to head into the doctor's office on Monday...

No comments:

Post a Comment